Foreword by Martin Ebon
22.8 x 15.5 cm. xviii, 186 pp.
This book is a challenge to everyone who grants the possiblity of survival of consciousness after physical death.‘Dr Naegeli provides a scholarly contribution to a better understanding of a complex and disturbing phenomenon. With increasing reports of cases of possession, this book offers a very helpful focus by a highly respected psychiatrist.’ Lee Pulos, PhD, clinical psychologist. ‘this book reveals the courage of a man who unapologetically accepts the reality of possession – a largely unpopular view – and the perspicacity of a thinker who has puzzled through the implications of this phenomenon and the relationship between possession and mental illness. A major step in the attempt to grapple with a most baffling condition.’ Adam Crabtree, psychotherapist and author of Multiple Man: Possession and Multiple Personality. ‘demonic possession has been part of culture throughout human history. Since some form of life after death – the existence of a soul – is widely accepted, the possibility of discarnate evil also exists. After all, the soul of a criminal does not suddenly become saintly at death.’ C.Normal Shealy, MP PhD. First President of the American Holistic Medical Association, physician, author and lecturer ‘a breakthrough in mental health concepts, a must for those in the helaing arts.’ Dr Edith Fiore, clinical psychologist and author of The Unquiet Dead. ‘An in-depth overview of possession and exorcism by a practising psychiatrist [who] deals with rare and not-so-rare phenomena all too often ignored by the establishment but which will not go away. His reports beg for a fresh look, re-examination and innovative experimentation, challenging both the practical-minded and the theoretician.’ Berthold Eric Schwarz MD, psychiatrist and author of The Psychic Nexus. CONTENTS Foreword by Martin Ebon Preface by Walter and Mary Jo Uphoff
- Present Day Views of Possession The Author’s View of Possession; The “Creed” of Rationalism; The Importance of Experience
- Natural Philosophy and Natural Science
- Good and Evil
- The Demonic (Evil) The Demonic as Qualitative Reality; The Demonic in the Ancient World View; The Ethereal Embodiment of Demons; The Demonic in Theology; Western Man’s View of the Demonic; Manifestations of the Demonic; Need for Expanded lliinking; Religious Aspect of the Human Soul
- Possession General Observations Concerning Possession; Forms of Possession; Causes of Possession; Psychic Prerequisites; Nature of Possession; Characteristics of Possession
- Positive Possession
- The Exorcism Major Exorcism; Minor Exorcism; Exorcism Within the Protestant Church
- Types of Exorcism By Martin Luther; In the Christian Philippines; Baptismal Exorcism; Non-Christian Exorcism
- Medical Exorcism In Brazil; The Author’s Method; Dr. Carl Wickland’s Method; Observations by Wilson Van Dusen, Ph.D.
- The Case History of Gottliebin Dittus The Course of Events; Pastor Blumhardt’s Personal Opinions Compared With Contemporary Viewpoints in Parapsychology; The Case History of Gottliebin Dittus from the Viewpoint of Modem Psychiatry
- Other Cases of Possession The Possession of Mrs. P. 1952; The Possessed M.M.; The Possessed Mrs. C.
- Unusual Cases of Possession The Lads of Illfurt; Jeanne Ferry; A Possessed Girl in Lowenberg; The Nut-Eating Bewitched Woman; Several Possessed Boys; The Possessed Youth; About a Possessed Girl; The Possessed Nuns in the Convent of Kentorff; The Possessed Servant; Agnes Katherina Schleicher; Germana Cele; The Possessed Cat
- Cults and Charismatics Cultic Possession; Similarities Between Charismatics and the Possessed
- Anneliese Michel A Case that Went to Court; Expiatory Suffering
- Harassment and Multiple Personality Multiple Personality Disorder; Harassment Differs from Possession; Treatment of a Non-Schizophrenic Patient Suffering from Harassment
- The Electronic Voice Phenomenon The Potential Risk of Intense Preoccupation with Paranormal Taped Voices; The “Spiricom” Experiments
- Infestation: The Mildest Form of Possession Mrs. L. in B.; Events Surrounding Mrs. F.; Mrs. M.G.; Miss H. N.; Mr. R.; Miss O.
- Witchcraft and Possession
- Summary and Conclusions Bibliography Index