Edited and Introduced by Peter Bander van Duren
A historical walk with the Prefect of the Pontifical Household through the treasures of papal heraldry
24.8 x 18.8 cm. 285 pp. + nearly 400 b/w illus. with the text and 24 pp. with 54 colour illus.
Captions to all illustrations are in English, Italian and German
In the late 1960s Cardinal Martin conceived the idea of having an authoritative heraldic guide for the Vatican where hundreds of coats of arms date back to Pope Eugene IV (1431-1447) the earliest armorial bearings of popes who resided in the Vatican. When Pope Paul VI had consecrated him Bishop of Neapolis in Palaestina during the papal visit to the Holy Land in 1964 and appointed him the first Prefect of the Pontifical Court, Monsignor Martin spent his free time writing profusely illustrated articles for the Holy See’s Sunday newspaper L’Osservatore della Domenica on heraldry in the Vatican